Tuesday, June 8, 2010

An update.

My diary:
So I've been writing in my diary daily, and I am actually finding it helpful. (... And painful; I've never been able to write more than half a page without my whole left hand cramping and aching!) I have named my diary, too. I find myself a little more content, or at least, less ill at ease after I have written several pages. I feel I have so much to confide in Jadzia, (this is what I have named my diary) so much that my hand cannot keep pace with my mind, which, as always, is running at a million miles a second! I would dearly love for the pain to go away, so I can write and write until I have lifted some of this weight that is dragging me ever deeper with each passing day.

I find it reassuring to know that I can always turn to my diary, even when I am housebound, with few friends who keep in touch. I wish I had more energy, or some at least, so I wouldn't always be lacking in energy, and using the next day's ad infinitum. With a little more energy, I would be able to dress, shower, wash my hair and even study, as well as write in my diary without lying in bed in between each minor task. I can only hope that I am able to sleep well soon, so that I may return to school in November and give these last two subjects my best try. I miss school; the routine, the social contact, the familarity and even some of the teachers!

If I am granted one wish this year, let it be that my sleep returns to a 11.30pm-6.45am pattern so that I can do my best each day. I fear that I bore readers (if there are any) with my repetitive posts. Hence, my diary. Jadzia shall never stop "listening" and I will always have an outlet for my emotions, one which is cheaper than a psychologist and has no office hours!

Despair, or Year 12, as it is otherwise known!
I am currently despairing, as I feel I shall receive a terrible mark for my last calculus assignment, which I must send off with a medical certificate this week. (My teacher did say it would be the hardest assignment or test I would encounter this year, and it is no wonder I had so much trouble with it, but I was so hoping to maintain my A average.) I should work on my next SAC today, which is only 70mins long, including reading time. I do hope I receive a decent mark for this SAC, as I cannot afford a low average for my schoolwork. I tend to perform badly on exams, as people with M.E. generally do; once time constraints are applied, marks go down, and forgetfulness increases. It has been proven, but, naturally, the governing body for Year 11 & 12 assessments does not recognise recent research. This illness frustrates me more than words can describe! I believe this SAC covers weeks 9-12, or the tangent function, co-ordinate geometry, and an awful lot of differentiation. I studied for a long time with my tutor, and even after she had left, so I hope the knowledge stays with me. Wish me luck, it's due in this Friday!

"The Diary Of Anne Frank"
I am re-reading Anne Frank's Diary, not because I've started to keep a diary of my own, but because I've always loved the book, and I used to want to be like Anne Frank when I was younger. (I was 7 or 8 when I first read it.) I wanted to have that many friends, be popular and fun, do well in school and have (what I considered to be) beautiful penmanship. Above all I wanted the ability she had to look at herself without pity, and analyse herself, her interactions with others and every aspect of herself. I wanted to have that kind of faith in God, and a sense of optimism.

There is a passage that spoke to me, and I honestly wonder if it could help someone who feels the way I do... "The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simply beauty of nature. As long as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." (Wednesday, 23rd February, 1944, "The Diary Of Anne Frank")

I am without any kind of faith; I seem to be unable to sustain or even start a belief in a God of any sort, and this is the only real issue I have with the passage. A few entries before Anne wrote this, her mother advised one of their helpers, who was feeling terribly miserable, to think of all the others who are miserable in the world, and said that would help to cheer her up. That is quite similar to people telling me: "There's always someone worse off than you, be grateful for what you have." I think I would rather go out to the countryside for a few days, or a week, and spend some time relaxing, writing and unwinding. It is very difficult to be at one with nature in a city! Anne seems wise beyond her years, and I would be grateful to have some of her spirit; her unwavering faith in God, her sagely advice, and her patience.
In reading her diary I have seen how much she has changed over the course of a year, from the first entries, about her life with friends, boy friends, outings and more, to her increasingly introspective life in hiding, learning to keep the peace, bite her tongue, and try to understand and get along with all occupants of 'The Secret Annexe.'

I hope that by keeping a diary, and by talking through my problems that I will be able to become a better person. Not like Anne Frank, by any means, but simply more understanding and tolerant of my family.

Thank you for reading, and if you'd like, please leave a comment! (I always love to read them, and I always try to respond.)

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love the Diary of Ann Frank. What a great story. Maybe it's time for me to pull it out and re-read it! Hmmmm


    I think if you hope to be a better person and make choices towards that goal, you will see the positive changes you are desiring.

    Good luck with the diary! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to buy the 'Definitive Edition'. The copies I have must be from the 1970's; they're my mum's! I'm attached to them, but the translation would be slightly different now, plus there wouldn't be any missing entries. And there'd be appendices! (I wanted to get it for my 10th birthday, but at over $100, plus shipping from the U.S, I decided I'd rather other things.) Hope it's in Australia now. =D

    It's definitely worth a re-read. Like a lot of my favourite books, I find something new, or a new meaning to something with each reading.

    And thanks, I just don't know where to start, exactly. Change is always hard for me! Thanks for the comment, too! Hope you're doing okay. =)

    ReplyDelete