Saturday, January 16, 2010

'Avatar' and shopping!

Yesterday I finally got out of the house and went to see 'Avatar' at the director's suite. It was pretty good, but they could've cut out 1/3 of the film; essentially the action/fighting/marines, and still had a great movie. I got really sleepy in the middle, but I actually managed to stay awake. And I got up at 1pm, although I wasn't able to think straight or walk properly until 1.50pm. I was that exhausted and sleepy.

After the film I went to Myer and bought two pairs of tracksuit pants and two t-shirts. Bonds makes really comfortable clothing, but it's a little overpriced at Myer, in my opinion. (Although I am fairly tight with money when it comes to buying myself stuff. With gifts for others; I splurge, or go all out on making something lovely. Like a quilt I hand-sewed for my grandmother.) Luckily, I wasn't paying. Mum was! Unfortunately, there was only one pair of the Bonds tracksuit pants in my size... Loads of 12's and 14's in dark grey, grey and black, but only one 10. It was in black, which is cool, 'cause black matches basically everything. The other pair were Urbane, and they were still really comfortable, and both looked good. I got a pink t-shirt and an aqua one.

I then cleared out my wardrobe when I got home. Loads of my t-shirts are old, with the hems coming undone or the patterns are totally faded. I'm still keeping two of my favourite t-shirts (one is a yellow Paul Frank, and the other is a blue Billabong one) until I can go to the Bonds outlet and get some more, hopefully in the afternoon. The old t-shirts are just for wearing around the house. I also decided to get rid of my old school dresses; I was keeping them for the Class of '09 to sign on the last day, but as I was too sick to go for that, there was no point. Just taking up space.

The weirdest thing is that I've lost weight since I was last weighed. (Late October.) But my jeans still don't fit properly. It's seriously pissing me off. I know my new neuropathic pain med causes bloating and weight gain and irritability and mood swings and a million other things I haven't experienced yet, plus ME/CFS can cause bloating, so I'd say that's why my jeans only just fit. Yeah... On the plus side, I'm still a size 10 or XS. WOOT!!!

I really hate the way I have basically every symptom:
  • insomnia, inability to fall asleep and stay asleep, restless legs,  
  • pain (especially in the muscles and/or joints, often migratory)
  • blurred vision
  • fevers, chills, aches & pains
  • confusion, 'mental fog'
  • memory loss
  • difficulties concentrating 
  • hypersensitivity to stimuli
  • dizziness, blacking out
  • weakness
  • sore throats
  • severe headaches and/or migraines
  • thermostatic intolerance (I can't maintain a constant body temperature) 
  • cold extremities (even in summer)
  • flushes, sweating, shivering, intolerance of extreme temperatures
  • worsening of symptoms with stress and exertion
  • anxiety/panic attacks
  • weight fluctuation
  • flu-like feelings and general malaise
  • exhaustion
  • unrefreshing sleep
  • new sensitivities or allergies to food, chemicals or medications
  • tender lymph glands
  • difficulty recalling information, making decisions, inability to multi-task
  • disorientation, blurred vision and/or problems focusing vision
  • ringing in the ears
  • 'zoning out' (Being so tired that one's body and mind shut down. One has no control over this.)
  • post-exertional malaise (Most people feel better after exercise. ME/CFS patients do not. It can take days, weeks, months or even years to recover from exertion, and the onset of malaise is delayed.)
There are many more specific ones that I could outline, but I think this list will give you an idea of what many ME/CFS patients suffer through every day of their lives, with no respite. The discovery of the retrovirus XMRV has given us hope, however, it will be a long time before there is anything close to a cure, and even longer before Australia recognises the existence of this retrovirus, it's proven link to ME/CFS, and the potential to treat XMRV positive ME/CFS patients with anti-retrovirals until a better, targeted treatment is found. And, hopefully, a cure.

I didn't mean to turn this into another post about ME/CFS, but I looked at my blog's title, and thought: "Well, the readers can't say they weren't warned!!

Moving on, are there any good books or CD's you'd recommend? I got a $50 Borders voucher at Christmas, and I plan to spend it sometime soon. I'm planning on buying 'Bruno', some stationary (they have such cute stationary there) and use whatever is left over on books and/or CD's. I'm lucky that I have pretty much the same taste as my mum when it comes to books, so whatever she buys, I read after. I haven't been well enough to buy myself a book in over 2 years! And, while I'm talking about stationary, Smiggle is awesome. They have scented pens, pencils, erasers, pencil cases in all shapes, styles and colours, plus folders, exercise books, staplers, scissors, highlighters and heaps more. I have a 'craver saver' card; every time you spend $10 (I think) or more you get a stamp. And once you get to the 14th square, you get a free gift. It'd better be good!

When I do my stationary shopping in January, before school starts, I colour code each subject, buy pens, pencils, etc. in nice co-ordinated colours, and hope that this organisation will somehow translate into brilliant grades. For instance, German was green: green folder, exercise book, Post-it notes. Methods is blue: blue folder for school, blue folder for tutoring, blue exercise book for school/tutoring, small blue exercise book for notes and working out. It's not OCD, all my friends do it, too. It's something about Year 11 & 12. You feel like your whole life will be reduced to a number, (your ENTER) so you take control and organise whatever you can. Plus the stationary section in Officeworks, and all of Smiggle is generally relaxing.

Well, that's it from me for now, it's about 3am. Comment if you want, I love to hear positive feedback. Take care of yourselves. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment